Eur. J. Entomol. 105 (4): 793-795, 2008 | DOI: 10.14411/eje.2008.105
A modified method for clearing, staining and mounting plant-inhabiting mites
- MITOX Consultants, P.O. Box 92260, 1090 AG Amsterdam, The Netherlands; e-mail: email@example.com
A modified method for clearing, staining and mounting plant-inhabiting mites is proposed. With this method, all mites can be cleared with a single agent and mounted in a single medium. The stain added to the mounting medium enhances the clarity of the fine structures of soft-bodied mites under phase contrast and more significantly under bright field microscopy.
Keywords: Acari, iodine, staining, microscope slides
Received: November 28, 2007; Accepted: March 19, 2008; Revised: March 19, 2008; Published: October 24, 2008Show citation
- AMRINE J.W.JR. & MANSON D.C.M. 1996: Preparation, mounting and descriptive study of Eriophyoid mites. In Lindquist E.E., Sabelis M.W. & Bruin J. (eds): Eriophyoid Mites - Their Biology, Natural Enemies and Control. World Crop Pests, Vol. 6. Elsevier Science Publishers, Amsterdam, pp. 383-396
- COINEAU Y. 1974: Nouvelles techniques pour l'etude de la morphologie des formations chitineuses des acariens. Acarologia 16: 4-10
- EVANS G.O. & BROWNING E. 1955: Techniques for the preparation of mites for study. Ann. Mag. Nat. Hist. 8: 631-635 Go to original source...
- JEPSSON L.R., KEIFER H.H. & BAKER E.W. 1975: Mites injurious to economic plants. Univ. California Press, Brekeley, 614 pp
- KRANTZ G.W. 1978: Collection, rearing, and preparation for study. In: A Manual of Acarology. Oregon State University Bookstore, pp. 77-98
- TRAVIS B.V. 1968: Glyptal-a useful slide ringing compound. J. Med. Entomol. 5: 24 Go to original source...
This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY), which permits use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original publication is properly cited. No use, distribution or reproduction is permitted which does not comply with these terms.