Eur. J. Entomol. 106 (2): 159-170, 2009 | DOI: 10.14411/eje.2009.019
A contribution to the karyosystematics of the planthopper families Dictyopharidae and Fulgoridae (Hemiptera: Auchenorrhyncha)
- 1 Zoological Institute, Russian Academy of Sciences, Universitetskaya nab. 1, 199034 St. Petersburg, Russia; e-mails: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2 Institute of Systematics and Evolution of Animals, Polish Academy of Sciences, Sławkowska 17, 30-016 Kraków, Poland; e-mail: email@example.com
The chromosome complements of thirteen species of the planthopper family Dictyopharidae are described and illustrated. For each species, the structure of testes and, on occasion, ovaries is additionally outlined in terms of the number of seminal follicles and ovarioles. The data presented cover the tribes Nersiini, Scoloptini and Dictyopharini of the subfamily Dictyopharinae and the tribes Ranissini, Almanini, and Orgeriini of the Orgeriinae. The data on the tribes Nersiini and Orgeriini are provided for the first time. Males of Hyalodictyon taurinum and Trimedia cf. viridata (Nersiini) have 2n = 26 + X; Scolops viridis, S. sulcipes, and S. abnormis (Scoloptini) 2n = 36 + X; Callodictya krueperi (Dictyopharini) 2n = 26 + X; Ranissus edirneus and Schizorgerius scytha (Ranissini) 2n = 26 + X. Males of Almana longipes and Bursinia cf. genei (Almanini) have 2n = 26 + X and 2n = 24 + XY, respectively. The latter chromosome complement was not recorded previously for the tribe Almanini. Males of Orgerius ventosus and Deserta cf. bipunctata (Orgeriini) have 2n = 26 + X. The testes of males of A. longipes and B. cf. genei each have 4 seminal follicles, which is characteristic of the tribe Almanini. Males of all other species have 6 follicles per testis. When the ovaries of a species were also studied, the number of ovarioles was coincident with that of seminal follicles. For comparison, Capocles podlipaevi (2n = 24 + X and 6 follicles per testis in males) from the Fulgoridae, the sister family to Dictyopharidae, was also studied. We supplemented all the data obtained with our earlier observations on Dictyopharidae. The chromosomal complement of 2n = 28 + X or that of 2n = 26 + X and 6 follicles per testis are suggested to be the ancestral condition among Dictyopharidae, from which taxa with various chromosome numbers and testes each with 4 follicles have differentiated.
Keywords: Hemiptera, Auchenorrhyncha, Dictyopharidae, Fulgoridae, karyotypes, sex chromosomes, testes, ovaries, evolution, systematics
Received: August 14, 2008; Accepted: February 20, 2009; Revised: February 20, 2009; Published: May 20, 2009Show citation
- BHATTACHARYA & MANNA 1973: Gonial chromosomes, their behaviour and metrical data in nine species of Fulgorids (Homoptera). Cytologia 38: 281-290. Go to original source...
- BLACKMAN R.L. 1995: Sex determination in insects. In Leather S.R. & Hardie J. (eds): Insect Reproduction. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, pp. 57-94
- D'URSO V., GUGLIELMINO A. & MAUCERI A. 2005: The internal male and female reproductive apparatus in Cixidia sikaniae D'Urso & Guglielmino, 1995 (Fulgoromorpha, Achilidae). Zootaxa 1077: 25-36
- EMELJANOV A.F. 1980: Phylogeny and evolution of subfamily Orgeriinae (Homoptera, Dictyopharidae). In: Tshtenija pamjati Cholodkovskovo [Lectures in Memoriam N.A. Kholodkovsky. Vol. 32.] Leningrad, pp. 3-96 [in Russian]
- EMELJANOV A.F. 1990: An attempt of construction of phylogenetic tree of the planthoppers (Hemiptera, Cicadina). Entomol. Obozr. 69: 353-356 [in Russian; English transl. in Entomol. Rev. 70: 24-28]
- EMELJANOV A.F. 2004: A new genus and tribe of Strongylodematinae (Homoptera: Fulgoridae). Zoosyst. Ross. 13(1): 52
- EMELJANOV A.F. 2007: Structure and ways of formation of faunae of the main zoogeographical regions (kingdoms) in the family Dictyopharidae (Homoptera, Fulgoroidea). In: Problems and Perspectives of General Entomology. Abstr. XIII-th Congress of Russian Entomological Society, Krasnodar, September 9-15, 2007. Krasnodar, pp. 103-104 [in Russian]
- EMELJANOV A.F. 2008: New genera and species of the family Dictyopharidae (Homoptera), with notes on the systematics of the subfamily Dictyopharinae. Entomol. Obozr. 87(2): 360-396. [in Russian, English abstr.] Go to original source...
- EMELJANOV A.F. & KUZNETSOVA V.G. 1983: The number of seminal follicles as a phylogenetic and taxonomic feature in the Dictyopharidae (Homoptera) and other leafhoppers. Zool. Zh. 62(10): 1583-1586 (in Russian, English abstr.)
- EMELJANOV A.F., KUZNETSOVA V.G., NOKKALA C. & NOKKALA S. 2005: Phylogeny and evolution of the subfamily Orgeriinae (Homoptera, Dictyopharidae). 12-th Intern. Auchenorrhyncha Congress. University of California, Berkeley, August 7-12, 2005. Abstr. of Talks and Posters. pp. 15-16
- GROZEVA S. & NOKKALA S. 1996: Chromosome and their meiotic behaviour in two families of the primitive infraorder Dipsocoromorpha (Heteroptera). Hereditas 125: 31-36 Go to original source...
- HALKKA L. & HEINONEN L. 1964: The chromosomes of 17 Nearctic Homoptera. Hereditas 52: 77-80
- JOHN B. & CLARIDGE M. 1974: Chromosome variation in British populations of Oncopsis (Hemiptera: Cicadellidae). Chromosoma (Berl.) 46: 77-89 Go to original source...
- KIRILLOVA V.I. 1986: Chromosome numbers of the leafhoppers (Hemiptera, Auchenorrhyncha) of the world fauna. I. Superfamilies Fulgoroidea, Cercopoidea and Cicadoidea. Entomol. Obozr. 65(1): 115-125 [in Russian; English transl. in Entomol. Rev. 65(4): 34-47]
- KIRILLOVA V.I. 1987: Chromosome numbers of the leafhoppers (Hemiptera, Auchenorrhyncha) of the world fauna. II. Karyotypic peculiarities of the leafhoppers of the superfamily Cicadelloidea. Entomol. Obozr. 66(2): 321-337 [in Russian; English transl. in Entomol. Rev. 67(1): 80-108]
- KIRILLOVA V.I. 1989: The anatomy of the male reproductive system in Homoptera (Cicadina, Delphacidae) and the use of its structure in the taxonomy of the family. Zool. Zh. 68(9): 143-148 [in Russian, English abstr.]
- KUZNETSOVA V.G. 1985: Phylogenetic analysis of chromosome variability and karyosystematics of Cicadina of the family Dictyopharidae (Homoptera, Auchenorrhyncha). Entomol. Obozr. 64: 539-553. [in Russian; English transl. in Entomol. Rev. 65(2): 88-106]
- KUZNETSOVA V.G. & KIRILLOVA V.I. 1990: Karyotypes and anatomic characteristics of the reproductive system in the Fulgoroidea (Homoptera, Cicadinea). Zool. Zh. 69(3): 24-31 [in Russian, English abstr.]
- KUZNETSOVA V.G., MARYANSKA-NADACHOWSKA A., YANG CH.-TU & O'BRIEN L. 1998: Karyotypes, sex-chromosome systems and testis structure in Fulgoroidea (Auchenorrhyncha, Homoptera, Insecta). Folia Biol. (Krakow) 46(1-2): 23-40
- MARYANSKA-NADACHOWSKA A., KUZNETSOVA V., GNEZDILOV V. & DROSOPOULOS S. 2006: Variability in the karyotypes, testes and ovaries of planthoppers of the families Issidae, Caliscelidae, and Acanaloniidae (Hemiptera: Fulgoroidea). Eur. J. Entomol. 103: 505-513 Go to original source...
- TIAN R., ZHANG Y.-L. & YUAN F. 2004: Karyotypes of nineteen species of Fulgoroidea from China (Insecta: Homoptera). Acta Entomol. Sin. 47: 803-808
- YEH W.-B., YANG C.-T. & HUI C.-F. 2005: A molecular phylogeny of planthoppers (Homoptera: Fulgoroidea) inferred from mitochondrial 16S rDNA sequences. Zool. Stud. 44: 337-353
This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY), which permits use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original publication is properly cited. No use, distribution or reproduction is permitted which does not comply with these terms.